Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Paddy's Day

OK, let's face it: I'm crazy. If not crazy, at least not 'normal'.

Awoke this morning and the first three thoughts in my head were: Happy St. Paddy's Day; Brigid (of Home On The Range fame); and Kim Delaney and her role in NYPD as alcoholic Detective Diane Russel.

Now I don't want Brigid to think I'm being crude or in any way mean to her, so if she takes offense at this, I apologize right now.

Thinking about all this got me to wondering why these three thoughts occurred simultaneously and all I can think of is that they are all Irish. (If not Irish, they're close enough in my mind.)

Kim Delaney was born in Philly, PA. in November, 1961 and did a stint as a model before beginning acting. Days of Our Lives kept her on the day time soaps (never seen it) and she had a role on CSI Miami (which I also haven't seen- and maybe am glad I didn't since most the women on CSI Miami are syrupy, whiny clones of each other and we won't discuss the sappy cliche's touted as dialogue by the rest of the players).

NYPD, as I recall, was a pretty 'cutting edge' series in the plots, 'human-ness' of the characters and the 'dark and gritty' photography. Much of what we see today originated with this series. Real characters with real lives and real problems, and not at all perfect as either people or officers.

Now, how did Brigid get mixed into this mess? Gosh, I wish I knew.

Other than inferring from her writing her choice of career, her love of guns and the poetic verse of her writing and the fact she's a Celtic Lass with a love of Freedom, there's no reason for her to be on my mind. Well, other than the fact she's female- and, like all women in the lives of men, very much a mystery that I sometimes fantasize unravelling.

Being of French-Canadian and Irish descent, I have no problem knowing why St. Paddy would come to mind today. He's got the day to himself and there will be enough green beer swilled today to float the Titanic. (Yes, I'll add my share.)

To all of you, a Happy St. Paddy's Day. Please, be safe, think before you drink and don't drive if you drink. It may be Detective Russel who stops you. But you won't like the result.
To Brigid, if I have offended you, I sincerely apologise (and believe me, I'm worrying about it).
Bless God, God bless.
Shy III
(Pictures from "OurLovedCelebrities.com"

1 comment:

I believe in the First Amendment and so should you. Speak your mind and piss on political correctness!